The investigations on solubility is built upon the Sugar and Salt Solutions simulation develop by PhET Interactive Simulations.
Students should be able to explain that:
- when ionic compounds dissolve they dissociate into ions, which causes the solution to conduct electricity;
- when covalent compounds dissolve the molecules remain intact, which does not allow the solution to conduct electricity; and
- substances dissolve in water because they interact favorably with water.
- PhET Sugar and Salt simulation
- Pretest (email to request a copy)
- Simulation assignment
- Screencast assignment
- Screencast assignment as a google form (note, this will create a copy for you)
- Alignment of pretest and assignment/follow-up questions (email to request a copy)
Further information about this simulation/assignment
In depth discussion of this work can be found in an article published in the Journal of Science Education and Technology.