The work investigating atomic spectra is built upon the Neon Lights & Other Discharge Lamps simulation develop by PhET Interactive Simulations.
Students should be able to:
- Explain what happens to an electron when it absorbs or emits energy
- Explain why emission spectra of elements have specific lines
- Provide evidence for the quantization of electron energies in atoms.
- Screencast assignment (this has only developed as a Google Form.)
- Use this link to make a copy of the Google form
Further information about this simulation/assignment
This assignment and screencast was developed using the principles from the research project. There is no simulation assignment or pretest. These materials are designed to provide an introduction to the electronic transitions associated with atomic emission spectra.